Dirty Rice gets the name for the brown appearance of the white rice after cooking and it's traditionally made with minced chicken livers or gizzards. Chef Nick Wallace developed this rich & hearty recipe with seasoned pork, beef & sautéed vegetables.
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 - 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, based on your preference
- 1 1/2 cups Ben’s Original™ Parboiled Long Grain White Rice (from 1 lb. Box)
- 24 oz low sodium chicken broth
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, or 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt, to taste
- Green onion, sliced, optional garnish
Ben’s Original™ Parboiled Long Grain White Rice
1. In a large heavy bottomed pot (like a dutch oven), over medium-high heat, cook ground meat until no longer pink. Drain grease.
2. Add in onion, green bell pepper and celery. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add in garlic and Cajun seasoning, cook for 30 seconds. Add the uncooked, dry rice, chicken broth, and thyme sprigs.
4. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Cover pot with a tight-fitting lid and simmer until rice is cooked, about 20 minutes.
5. Taste and add salt or additional Cajun seasoning, to taste. Garnish with green onions, if desired. Enjoy!
- CALORIES: 330
- TOTAL FAT: 8g - 10%
- TRANS FAT: 0g
- SODIUM: 360mg - 16%
- TOTAL CARBOHYDRATES: 43g - 16%
- DIETARY FIBER: 1g - 4%
- TOTAL SUGARS: 2g
- PROTEIN: 20g